Home Page
About the Churches
Minister
Letter from the Minister
Worship and Events
Prayer Diary
Church Members
Church Membership
Directions
Contact Us
Organisations
Galleries
Kirk Cafe
Privacy

Udny and Pitmedden Parish Church - Church of Scotland

About Udny Green Church

Udny Green Parish Church

built in 1821

today in 2004

History

The present Church is situated at the north end of the village green and dates back to 1821. The current Church was built to replace the former church known as "Christ's Kirk" which was situated in the Udny Green Cemetery.

The Clock in the Tower



The Clock was gifted in 1895 by the late Mrs Amy Udny and is still in excellent working order.

The Stain Glass Window


The stain glass window in the north gable was gifted by the last laird of the direct Udny line in memory of his wife Amy (who gifted the clock). The window was built by Clayton & Bell and was installed in 1926.

The two figures depicted in the window are that of St. Machar and Dorcas. St. Macher was a Celtic missionary who brought Christianity to the North East of Scotland. Dorcas (Acts 9 verses 36-39) was renowned for her good works, helping the poor and needy. Her beauty seen in the window was reflected by the lady memorialised here.

There is an interesting link between these two saints and the Christian hope of the resurrection life, was that both of them had experiences of life out of death.

On either side of the window are two marble tablets, one placed by the Laird of Udny in memory of his nephew Lt. Richard Udny who died at the age of 18 from wounds received in the first world war. The second tablet is a memorial to the late Laird himself placed by Lord Belhaven and Stenton who inherited the Udny and Dudwick estates on the death of Udny in 1934.


St. Machar


Dorcas
Pipe Organ

The pipe organ a Harrison & Harrison which as installed in 1889, and was extensively renovated in 1979 by Rushworth & Draper Organ Builders and is played every Sunday to lead the praise.

The Baptismal Font

The baptismal font was gifted in 1939 by Lord and Lady Belhaven for the baptism of their eldest daughter The Hon. Margaret Williams, whose children have also been baptised in Udny Green Church.




The Communion Table



The communion table was given by the congregation in memory of late Dr. Alexander Spence, the first minister in the Presbytery of Ellon to be settled under Patronage Abolition Act who was inducted into the Udny parish on the 25th February 1876 and ministered until his retirement in 1923.

The Ministers of Udny Green


Below are a list of the Ministers of Udny Church since the parish was erected by Act of Parliament in December 1597.

1604 - 1622 Rev. Thomas Mitchell
1623 - 1652 Rev. Thomas Thoirs
1653 - 1663 Rev. William Keith
1663 - 1668 Rev. George Melville
1668 - 1675 Rev. William Irving
1675 - 1681 Rev. John Cockburn
1682 - 1721 Rev. Alexander Milne
1722 - 1755 Rev. Robert Innes
1756 - 1763 Rev. John Forbes
1764 - 1767 Rev. George Adam
1767 - 1812 Rev. John Rose
1813 - 1849 Rev. John Leslie
1850 - 1875 Rev. John Leslie (nephew of the above)
1876 - 1923 Rev. Alexander Spence
1923 - 1927 Rev. Robert Wilson
1928 - 1931 Rev. William McNutt

Udny & Pitmedden Church
1931 - 1953 Rev. William McNutt
1955 - 1963 Rev. P.F.C. Black
1964 - 1977 Rev. Kenneth MacRae
1978 - 1984 Rev. Duane Armistead
1985 - 2004 Rev. George Robertson
2004 - 2010 Rev. Regine Cheyne

2010 - Pres Vacancy

The Church Today


Thanks to the diligence of Church Members, Elders and Ministers of generations past and present Udny Green Church is a beautiful church. It can seat up to 500.